Monday, 28 November 2011


With Kernel I started working a few weeks before most. I started with modelling a few props and various items of interest. Things like shears, pegs, and the most beautiful scissor mirror, that was wrote out of the script, and will now be back logged :(. Since I've been with the project early on I've seen the story change and improve, but due to these changes I never started work on anything to big, just in case it wasn't needed. With modelling it seems like the more effort i put in the more i learn and get back, i use to model really quite high poly, most of which wasn't even needed, so I've manage to learn how to model 'properly'. Anywhoooo, here is some of the things I modelled, what seems years back:

The mask is quite interesting, its been really nice to work directly with the Director Olly to get it exactly how he wants, but you really do need a designer/artist to nail it first time round, but its all a learning curve. Hes some of the progress of just the mask to give you an idea of development:

The Final Version, I Hope.

Though there is still plenty of props etc to be modelled and unwrapped (I finally got RoadKill to work) I've started working on the shed, which is attached to the greenhouse, a major environment to the story. I've also used my own creativity to help 'fill' out the scene. Its still work in progress, the roof needs to be lowered but here is how the shed looks:

Fentil: Another Life

I'll start with Fentil. So for this project I'm modelling the environment which is relatively 'simple' as its made up of maybe 3 or 4 main factors. The action takes place on top of these blueish Tile Tops that are suspended off the ground by a lattice, these tile tops are in fact a sort of plant/tree and are meant to be the size of a half a house. The fit together like bubbles, here is how they look from a bird eye view:

The tile tops sits on top of a shrub land that is close to what you get in outback Australia but with alien plants and shrubs. In the background there is a mountain range that will be a matte painting. Given the size and proportion of the project we started looking at ways to 'cheat'. So for starters the tile tops are really low poly and will rely on good texture for a photorealistic look, the lattice's that are close to the camera will be high poly but for the ones out of focus or too far back will, most likely, be an alpha plain wrapped around a cylinder with just a lattice texture showing. Here was a very basic scene set up for a lightening test, you can see which lattices are high and low poly (ignore the stuff on top):

Since this will really rely on how good the textures are I thought I should at least give it a look. I'm not the best with Photoshop so some of the maps I used are really amateurish. So here is the latest work I've been doing, these Tile Tops have a dispalcement map, bump map and a specular map. I'm actually really pleased with the way they have turned out and where fairly quick on rendering, enjoy:

Where To Start......

Its been awhile. Well for starters I'm in my final year at university, which seems to have flown by. The 3rd year mostly consists of working on our Final Major Project (FMP), I never had an idea to pitch to start with so i opted to work on other peoples project as I felt it would give me a stronger/diverse showreel by the end of the year. So for starters here is my modelling showreel:

Everyone else (who actually had an idea) pitched them at the Maritime Museum and they all did an amazing job, and made me so much more enthusiastic to work on their projects. Out of the 25, 16 were chosen, and given my 'area' is 3D I started working on the two 3D films. Kernel, a film by Olly Skillman-Wilson, that explores the concept of knowledge is power. The story revolves around Leonard, an outcast of such, who is able to store knowledge (which has been banned) in plant bulbs, with the future intention of spreading the knowledge to those who are not part of the political machine. The second is Fentil: Another Life, a documentary by Dan Emmerson which is essentially Planet Dinosaur, set on an 'alien' moon in a completely different solar system, its wonderfully balanced between logical and alien. It follows a 'chase' scene between Platehead (prey) and Brighteye (predator). For both projects I am environment modelling, seeing as this is becoming a rather large post I will stop here and post seperatly for both projects.